Friday, July 3, 2009

Ancient Places, a castle and the spa, ahhh


A night in the castle. Perched far above the river D'Orcia - opaque icey blue color.

Imagine finding this pool at the end of a long hot hike! Welcome to Bagno Vignoni -Ancient Roman spa. When I entered the pools next to my hotel, I was very pleased with the warm sulfer bath and the cooler pool with the waterfall. But then I noticed stairs leading down to the "Room of Great Health and Beauty" (my translation). Apparantly a Roman Sauna is an unbearable hot room dimly lit (fading from white to purple to yellow) with an overflowing steaming pool in the centre, with slow Aerosmith piped in. Very dramatic. Followed by a room with cold showers, the shower head fit for an elephant with a gush of water sented with cedar, followed by the "relaxation room" - lounge chairs with sounds of running water, birds and faint music.  I am so relaxed that the world seems to just glide past me in continuous fluid motion.  I will try the mud and herbal sauna next.  Italians really know how to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment